Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom doesn't come free

Today is the 4th of July, we get to celebrate our freedom thanks to the brave men and women who put their lives on the line. Most of the time we take our freedom for granted and really only remember it on this single day of the year, when we should be celebrating it 364 days a year (I'm already counting today). We as Americans live each day as though we have all the freedoms in the world and a 1000 years to spend living the dream. But not everyone gets to live their dreams. I think of the fathers that leave their wives and children behind fighting for a cause that sometimes seems hopeless. I pause to give remembrance to the moms, sisters, brothers, aunts, and uncles that go unnoticed on the evening news. Now I'm not hear to give my rant about war or freedom or anything of the like. I'm guilty of living my life without the slightest thought of what is happening outside my own world of IVF, betas, pregnancy tests, hormones and medication. Today I realized I was free to pursue creating my own family. There are women in other countries who don't get these freedoms. They are limited by one child laws or tossed out on the streets if they don't bear any children. Baby girls fill orphanages in some countries were girls aren't wanted over the preference of boys. Instead, I've been given a gift. Ive been able to create life with the help of my wonderful fertility doctors and God, and it isn't something I take lightly. Sometimes I wonder why blessed me with these precious lives over another precious woman. But I know God has a plan, as do each of us. These days I cherish with everything I have. I try to take in each moment and give thanks that I was given this chance. As the hormones surge through my body and create a hormonal monster that was once myself, I'm thankful. Every time someone goes to hug me and they unknowingly press against my very tender breasts, I'm thankful. Every time I look in the mirror and see my expanding waist (yes,even at 4 weeks, my body has the memory rention of a rubberband) or I feel little twinges, I rub my belly and THANK GOD, he had this plan for me. The freedoms we have are enormous, just like I know my belly will be soon enough. And that is more than enough to be thankful for. Ain't freedom grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment